Join us for our pre-conference workshops on May 4th 2020 9am - 5pm
- Scenario Planning
- ALCES Online Cumulative Effects Simulator
- Structured Decision-Making
Taking Action On Cumulative Effects
Add leading edge cumulative effects assessment, land use simulation and decision-making skills to your resume and boost your career. The CFX2020 workshops are designed to help you build your proficiency and confidence using proven processes and tools to reduce the complexity of cumulative effects, to understand cause and effect hypotheses, to test alternative strategies, and evaluate uncertainty.
Your workshop day is divided into morning and afternoon sessions.
In the morning, you will join all attendees to learn the foundations of how to capture the power of scenario planning for a holistic cumulative effects assessment project.
When you purchase your workshop ticket you’ll decide which of two paths you want to take in the afternoon session.
You can choose to either explore spatially explicit simulation modelling using the ALCES software to help you quantify and communicate the outcomes of a range of possible land use scenarios using GIS simulators, or you can explore how to utilize structured decision-making to help you make good decisions from a range of alternatives.
Start Your Day With Holistic Cumulative Effects Scenario Planning
Learn the “Why” and “How” to use Scenario Planning in a cumulative effects context
- Establish meaningful baselines
- The historic (backcast) scenario
- The base case (Business As Usual) Scenario
- Designing your own learning scenarios
- Linking strategic and operational planning
- Closing the adaptive management loop
Lunch is provided on site.
Great time for networking and continuing conversations.
Select Your Afternoon
The afternoon builds on the core of the morning, we are thrilled to offer 2 choices.
Explore the ALCES tools even if you don’t have a background in geomatics and computer modelling. See how to:
- simulate land use, climate change, and natural disturbance
- investigate changes to valued components
- use traditional knowledge, census data, planning documents, and expert knowledge
- create 3D maps, animated maps, and multi-dimensional scatterplots
- Tour landscapes with customizable fly-overs and high resolution satellite imagery
Use a proven approach to:
- Ensure your decisions align with your vision and key priorities
- Deciding what really matters
- Handling Risk & Uncertainty
- Make decisions with confidence and transparency